Vancouver

THE FULBRIGHT YEAR Disclaimer* This blog is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views disclosed are my own and do not reflect those of the Fulbright Program,the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations

Saturday, August 21, 2010

SATURDAY

It took four hours of sitting and pacing, going across the street to Subway for refreshments, pacing some more, and reaffirming to the pleasant young man that we would not come back to his store for a fourth day if they had not provided us cell phones before we left. I'm so thankful that we had Pam as a witness because no one would believe the rigamarole you have to go through. Jim,very nicely told them that if this was what Americans had to go through to get a phone in the states, there would be rioting in the streets...I don't think they believed him.

Success! We each have a cell phone...under totally different plans (don't ask, the reason is so crazy you would think I'm lying)but at least we have phones. Sorry, it's just for local numbers we aren't rich enough to buy a plan that has international calling!

We do have Skype up and running. I am apianist61. It is super easy to download, so far Tony and Pam have it on their computers.

If I haven't mentioned it already, BC is beautiful, I think at this point, that it is this fact that is making all the wildness of trying to get settled worth it.

We are going to try once more to make it to church tomorrow. Pam has emailed the pastor of the congregation that we couldn't find last week and if we don't hear anything from him we will attempt to find the Vancouver branch instead.

I am thinking about setting up a separate blog acct or something where I can chronicle my experiences of living in an RV park rather than use my Fulbright blog. A professor at Park University, when he found out my living arrangements in BC, told me that there was a book to be written about life in an RV park and he expected me to write it. I just laughed at the time and thought...who would want to read about that?....I'm beginning to think he may have a point..I don't know if I can really keep up with all the writing and school and Alexis's schedule,but I may try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
In politically correct language I am called a non-traditional student or,as my mother would say, a late-bloomer. For twenty years I was a stay-at-home/home-schooling mom but surprise.. kids grow up. When my son asked me what I was going to do after he left home I told him I was sure it would involve crates of Kleenex, junk food, and a lot of self pity. He suggested college instead and I took him up on it. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a BA in Criminal Justice/Corrections from Park University in Parkville, Mo. Through internships that brought me into contact with both the victims and offenders of violent crime, I have acquired a passion to assist each in addressing issues of accountability and healing through the restorative process of victim-offender mediation. As a 2010-2011 Canada-U.S. Student Fulbright recipient I will travel this fall with my husband and granddaughter, to British Columbia where I will be attending Simon Fraser University's Graduate School of Criminology. With a superb symmetry, Mother, arbitrator of children’s squabbles has progressed to victim-offender mediator.