Vancouver

THE FULBRIGHT YEAR Disclaimer* This blog is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views disclosed are my own and do not reflect those of the Fulbright Program,the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations

Sunday, August 15, 2010

HAPPENINGS

A little about our RV park.


Troy and Linda are the (married) park managers and they are absolutely wonderful. When we arrived late on Wednesday night they had a space already reserved for us...the only problem was that we were too close to our neighbors to even get our awning out and there is major highway construction gong on 24/7 just a few feet a way. It is an understatement to say that I was disappointed...bordering on hysterical is probably closer to it. After the months of anticipation and days of driving our home in Independence could be considered more rustic. Jim is used to the occasional emotional outburst (yes, only occasional!)but I felt sorry for Sam. I'm begging Jim to do something and Sam is trying to be supportive of him but he also feels bad for me because he's not impressed with the site either.


The next morning Jim went and talked to Troy and he drove him to a couple of other available sites and we found one that we liked much better. It's a few rows over from the first one but it has a lot more room and is far enough away from the hwy that much of the noise is muffled. I was so grateful. I'm not sure exactly what Jim must have told Troy when he told him that "we" weren't happy with the lot because when I met him and Linda the following day, they were quick to assure me that I would calm down? and begin to feel more settled after a few days?? and that they too are raising their children here and that I need have no fear of my neighbors???

Oh well, it all worked out and we are most grateful to both of them for being so accommodating to us pushy, and thanks to my husband's portrayal of me, paranoid, Americans.




WE're still trying to nail down our banking,internet and cell phone service. Hopefully we can accomplish all of that tomorrow. Oh yes, and we most definitely will be buying a GPS that works in Canada....

LOST
No, we are not marooned on remote island but many times over the past few days we have felt as hopeless as our poor plane-crashed friends from ABC, in ever finding our way back to our RV park .

The gravitational pull of HWY 1!

Hwy 1 runs right beside our park and as I mentioned it is under construction. Thursday in our travels we spent over two hours stuck in it's powerful force field. With numerous exits and on-ramps that are closed, it keeps circling you round and round back and forth over the Fraser River until you finally find an exit that will let you get away from it. Over the two hours I believe I heard such comments as, "I can't do this much longer I've had to pee for the last 45 minutes!" Papa, are we lost? Will we ever get back to the RV park?" "No, no, NO! We can't be going back around again!! STOP" "If you think you can can get us off this road I'll just pull over right here and let you drive :) someone really did say that!!! I wonder who it could be? "Oh, let's just enjoy the pretty scenery Alexis, what is down there on the river that we haven't seen that last (50) times we we went over it?" Hmmm, who does that cheery voice sound like?


LOST EPISODE 2

Today we tried to go to church. We all got up early, got dressed and spent the next 3 hours driving around Burnaby, Cocquitlam, New Westminster, and Vancouver. Only 45 minutes of it was spent trying to find the church, the other two plus hours were spent trying to find our way home again! Jim announced on our arrival that while we hadn't been able to go to the worship service that he was none-the-less praising God that we had finally made it home!



Alexis enjoying the hot weather

Hey, I know how to convert Celsius to F. Times the C. # by 9. Divide by 5 and add 32. Woohoo!





Where I sit to blog

1 comment:

  1. Oh and by the way it was me,(Jim) that offered to stop the car, get out, and let Tammy Drive.But she decided against it........

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
In politically correct language I am called a non-traditional student or,as my mother would say, a late-bloomer. For twenty years I was a stay-at-home/home-schooling mom but surprise.. kids grow up. When my son asked me what I was going to do after he left home I told him I was sure it would involve crates of Kleenex, junk food, and a lot of self pity. He suggested college instead and I took him up on it. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a BA in Criminal Justice/Corrections from Park University in Parkville, Mo. Through internships that brought me into contact with both the victims and offenders of violent crime, I have acquired a passion to assist each in addressing issues of accountability and healing through the restorative process of victim-offender mediation. As a 2010-2011 Canada-U.S. Student Fulbright recipient I will travel this fall with my husband and granddaughter, to British Columbia where I will be attending Simon Fraser University's Graduate School of Criminology. With a superb symmetry, Mother, arbitrator of children’s squabbles has progressed to victim-offender mediator.