Vancouver

THE FULBRIGHT YEAR Disclaimer* This blog is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views disclosed are my own and do not reflect those of the Fulbright Program,the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations

Thursday, August 19, 2010

GOOD DAYS

Wow, eleven months and over 2,000 miles later I finally made it to Simon Fraser University






A scenic overlook on campus













Around each corner the view keeps getting better








Me on top of the world at SFU's reflecting pool




I believe this is called the quadrangle



Jim and I had left early Wednesday morning to talk to the people at his prospective job and to see what I could get done at SFU. After visiting with the boss at CBS Parts in Burnaby he told him that he can start work as soon as he has his SIN card. So that was very good news. It had looked promising before we left home but until you are actually hired you are kind of on pins and needles waiting to see what will happen.

We then headed up Burnaby Mt to Simon Fraser. Wow! What an absolutely gorgeous drive. Much to my amazement SFU is an enormous campus..I just had no idea. Jim and I walked and walked stopping and asking directions numerous times along the way. We finally found the student center where we were told to begin our day at the registrar's office where I would receive a student ID card. After taking a number and waiting I was told that until I had officially enrolled in classes I could not get my ID.She told me to find a computer, register for classes and come back 24 hours later after the info and been entered into her database. OKAY... The Criminology Dept.(far, far away) was our next stop.The minute I rounded the corner heading into the department I knew I was at home. While they have much more lovely digs than my friends back at Park, in comparison to the Science Hall and other areas of the university that we walked through, the CRIM dept seemed more cozy, if you will. I thought to myself...yes, these are my people, I will feel very comfortable here.


Philip, the graduate secretary was a terrific help, he enrolled me in my classes while I filled out all the TA paperwork. I was also pleased to meet Professor Boyd, Dean of the Graduate Department. He is just as personable as I imagined he would be. After finishing there Jim and I headed to the bookstore where I was able to purchase my books. So tomorrow I will(this time with Mom and Pam)make a trip back to campus to get my ID, buy a parking pass, and enroll in new graduate student orientation. This was actually one of the more productive days I have had thus far...and it felt really good.


Thursday

The heat wave broke and we awoke to a cool, rainy day. Jim headed out early and was successful in obtaining the much coveted and sought-after SIN card. (Much jumping up and down at this point!)As he came in the door he announced to Pam that with this card in his possession he could now officially "SIN" all he wanted to! When he called CBS to tell them the news they told him to plan on starting work 8:00 Monday morning. (imagine cartwheels and backflips!)


Alexis has made a friend. Lauren is the 6 year old daughter of Troy and Linda, the park managers. I am so thankful that she has someone to play with as she has been lamenting that she is bored without other kids around. We had been telling her to just be patient, school will start soon and she will meet others there but Lauren is a sweet little girl and I'm thankful for Alexis's sake that a friend came sooner than later. As Pam and I are sitting in the laundry room...the only dry place to get on the computer...the two of them are in the office playing Polly Pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
In politically correct language I am called a non-traditional student or,as my mother would say, a late-bloomer. For twenty years I was a stay-at-home/home-schooling mom but surprise.. kids grow up. When my son asked me what I was going to do after he left home I told him I was sure it would involve crates of Kleenex, junk food, and a lot of self pity. He suggested college instead and I took him up on it. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a BA in Criminal Justice/Corrections from Park University in Parkville, Mo. Through internships that brought me into contact with both the victims and offenders of violent crime, I have acquired a passion to assist each in addressing issues of accountability and healing through the restorative process of victim-offender mediation. As a 2010-2011 Canada-U.S. Student Fulbright recipient I will travel this fall with my husband and granddaughter, to British Columbia where I will be attending Simon Fraser University's Graduate School of Criminology. With a superb symmetry, Mother, arbitrator of children’s squabbles has progressed to victim-offender mediator.