Vancouver

THE FULBRIGHT YEAR Disclaimer* This blog is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views disclosed are my own and do not reflect those of the Fulbright Program,the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations

Monday, August 23, 2010

Mom, Alexis, and me at SFU Burnaby Campus


Alexis taking in the sights from the top of SFU's patio balcony
Jim left bright and early this morning for his first day on the job. He said he made it to work in about thirty minutes but it took forty-five coming home through HWY 1 construction. His day went well with the work being much like his job at home. It was the accents of many of his co-workers and customers that threw him for a loop. He said he had to listen really carefully to understand what people were saying especially if he was on the phone with them.
Mom, Pam,Alexis, and I spent much of the day at SFU trying to wrap up the loose ends that I couldn't get accomplished last week. While the girls shopped in the bookstore I went to the registrar's office and got my school ID. I got a bit turned around trying to take them to the Criminology dept and poor Pam ended up having to walk what seemed like miles. After talking to three different people, each getting us closer to our destination, we finally made it. Everyone was able to sit and rest up for the walk back to the car while I took care of some business at the CRIM office. I now have the keycard that gets me into the MA office as well as my own little key to my own special drawer in the office.
The only thing that is still undecided is the parking arrangements which come at a premium. To park in the blisters on top of blisters on top of blisters parking lot is $270.00 per semester. To park in the "it only hurts when I walk" lot is about$379.00. I may be eligible for a discount as a TA so I need to have my dept. email parking services a copy of my teaching contract to get a price break of sorts. Thursday 9/2 is the graduate student orientation so I should be able to get it dealt with then.
I guess fall comes earlier here as trees are starting to turn. The mornings are becoming noticeably cooler although it still warms up lovely in the afternoon. Alexis wants to go swimming every day no matter chilly the day has been so Mimi took her to the pool tonight thinking that once she "freezes her buns" a bit so she will realize that it really isn't as warm as the week we arrived and will quit asking to go. Somehow I don't think the cool air is going to dissuade her. As long as the pool is open (September 30) ..(I told you that folks here are hardy) she'll want to be in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
In politically correct language I am called a non-traditional student or,as my mother would say, a late-bloomer. For twenty years I was a stay-at-home/home-schooling mom but surprise.. kids grow up. When my son asked me what I was going to do after he left home I told him I was sure it would involve crates of Kleenex, junk food, and a lot of self pity. He suggested college instead and I took him up on it. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a BA in Criminal Justice/Corrections from Park University in Parkville, Mo. Through internships that brought me into contact with both the victims and offenders of violent crime, I have acquired a passion to assist each in addressing issues of accountability and healing through the restorative process of victim-offender mediation. As a 2010-2011 Canada-U.S. Student Fulbright recipient I will travel this fall with my husband and granddaughter, to British Columbia where I will be attending Simon Fraser University's Graduate School of Criminology. With a superb symmetry, Mother, arbitrator of children’s squabbles has progressed to victim-offender mediator.