Vancouver

THE FULBRIGHT YEAR Disclaimer* This blog is not an official Fulbright Program blog. The views disclosed are my own and do not reflect those of the Fulbright Program,the U.S. Department of State, or any of its partner organizations

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

ENDINGS, BEGINNINGS, and EVERYTHING INBETWEEN

In the 21 years that I have lived there today was a first. I just closed up my house and walked away with no concrete idea as to when I'll be home again. When I got back to my mom's house, where I'm staying till we leave on Saturday, she asked me if I had a good boohoo as I drove away. I said no, but it sure was a strange, unsettled sort of feeling.

There are still things to be done such as picking up my contact lenses, taking the dog to the vet,sleep over with my eighteen month-old grand baby Chloe tonight, dinner and movie with family and friends tomorrow night, and a slumber party and gabfest with a girlfriend Thursday night but I'm ready to go now. I think I should go now, before I can change my mind. It's kind of like when I fly. I'm ok with flying but I don't love it,and when I make up my mind to do it (or it's the only option) I want to get to the airport and march right onto that plane and just go..let's get this done. Waiting around unnerves me.

I am really looking forward to living in Surrey.I am ready for this new chapter in my life to get underway but endings are not easy. Yes, I will return to Missouri and to the friends and family that I love, but when I shut the door on my house today something seemed to say that the life I know now will not be the life I have when I come home again...the house may be the same as when I left, but I won't be.

2 comments:

  1. May the Lord bless you in your journey. Your friends will be here when you come back and pray for you while you are gone.
    Eddie, Becky, Ben, Jonny & Mitchell

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will come back an even better person than you were when you left, of that I am sure. May God's blessing be upon you all on your journey.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

About Me

My photo
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
In politically correct language I am called a non-traditional student or,as my mother would say, a late-bloomer. For twenty years I was a stay-at-home/home-schooling mom but surprise.. kids grow up. When my son asked me what I was going to do after he left home I told him I was sure it would involve crates of Kleenex, junk food, and a lot of self pity. He suggested college instead and I took him up on it. I graduated in Dec. 09 with a BA in Criminal Justice/Corrections from Park University in Parkville, Mo. Through internships that brought me into contact with both the victims and offenders of violent crime, I have acquired a passion to assist each in addressing issues of accountability and healing through the restorative process of victim-offender mediation. As a 2010-2011 Canada-U.S. Student Fulbright recipient I will travel this fall with my husband and granddaughter, to British Columbia where I will be attending Simon Fraser University's Graduate School of Criminology. With a superb symmetry, Mother, arbitrator of children’s squabbles has progressed to victim-offender mediator.